CRPS, or Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (Type 1), is a change in the nervous system that's usually triggered by a very painful episode. The bad kinds affect the brain, nerves, muscles, skin, metabolism, circulation, and fight-or-flight response. Lucky me; that's what I've got. ... But life is still inherently good (or I don't know when to quit; either way) and, good or not, life still goes on.

Monday, October 18, 2010

On weighing the evidence

My friend J's husband called her from work today with the immortal words, "I've met someone else." If he had been able to pick a worse time in life to tell her -- say, when she was hooked up to chemotherapy or had just been knocked over and broken her spine -- I suspect he would have. (I'd like to think I'm joking.)

I recently had another opportunity of my own to mull over the impact of emotional deceit and betrayal, but after the initial surprise I found those reflections boring.

Instead, I turned to thinking about getting so attached to my hopes and errors that it becomes almost impossible to look at the evidence and admit I was wrong. I _was_ misled, but also, for a year, I remained more attached to my erroneous assumptions than to the weight of the evidence.

So I'm reminded of the importance of being ready to notice, and own up, when I'm likely to be wrong. What someone tells you isn't evidence, but what they do -- or fail to do -- certainly is. Sooner or later, you have to go with the evidence.

J and her husband had years of shared struggles, victories, and all the usual pushme-pullyou dramas and traumas that go with two different people sharing their lives.

There were times when, on the basis of the evidence, I told her she should leave. Maybe she should have, for the sake of her own soul. But she didn't, and her husband would almost always call when we were talking, because whether they were getting along or not, he'd still call her every hour throughout the day and then ring off with a real, "I love you."

So what do you do when the evidence itself is so confused?

Very few people wind up in solid marriages. Both my brothers did, so I sometimes think that I should, too. But I'm beginning to believe, down to my soul, that nobody will have my back that devotedly -- and maybe they shouldn't. Maybe I shouldn't come first to anyone, nor put anyone first, myself. Becoming that attached to something that's so very rare in reality does seem to hinder one's ability to see the evidence, and destroys the ability to admit that one is wrong.

I have congenital trouble with admitting that my perceptions are wrong in the first place. Perhaps I should just work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for commenting!

Pushing a product? If so, be clear about how or why it works -- I'm a geek; I need the data.