CRPS, or Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (Type 1), is a change in the nervous system that's usually triggered by a very painful episode. The bad kinds affect the brain, nerves, muscles, skin, metabolism, circulation, and fight-or-flight response. Lucky me; that's what I've got. ... But life is still inherently good (or I don't know when to quit; either way) and, good or not, life still goes on.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I'll take it and be grateful

I'm happy to say that it has been an otherwise fairly uneventful day. I'll have to repair the male connector that activates Oliphaunt's tail-lights, but it's taped up and will do until I'm somewhere warmer and hurting less.

Heading South was a good move. It was bitterly cold on I-80. It's getting more bearable every 50 miles.

I've discovered that not only stopping every hour and stretching, but running in place for a few minutes -- until my whole body starts getting warm -- really makes a difference. 

Exercise not only improves circulation and oxygenation, it helps stabilize the autonomic nervous system. This is my substitute for a 20 minute walk at every break, which is rarely realistic at highway rest stops.

I got 4 hours of driving time today, which was my target amount. Considering I'm in hard recovery from the previous 36 hours, that's pretty good!

Well away from Pennsylvania's peculiarly slimy water, here in roaring downtown Ashland, Ohio (you can blink without missing it, but don't blink twice, or you might),  I'm curled up in a rather luscious little Super 8. (I did say my needs are simple...)

View Larger Map
The bath overflow is halfway up the tub, leaving a depth suitable for a footsoak. I tied a couple of loosely folded tissues into the plastic bag they leave in the ice bucket, stuffed it into the overflow gap, and it blocked it completely.

I put about a pound and a half (~3 kg) of epsom salt into the bath, and had a looooovely warm bath. My spine and hips and legs and arms are sooooooo much happier now, and I can bear to be inside my left leg. The thought of doing it again tomorrow is bearable, and that's all I ask.

My sweetie is safe and well, my last lovely hostess's internet is up and running, and I am warm and at rest. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for commenting!

Pushing a product? If so, be clear about how or why it works -- I'm a geek; I need the data.